Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Me-Made-Mittwoch #6!

Last week I promised I'd be wearing a skirt today... Well, THINK before you make online-promises! This really would have been a pants day, with the chance of rain here in Vienna. But I am using the opportunity to introduce to you one of my early pieces again. It was my own idea, "design" and I had to figure out construction and everything on my own. I was not a very accomplished seamstress back then, which is annoying, because while I actually love the skirt, the execution is so poor, that I don't consider it really wearable any more... But since it's mostly a stay-at-home-day today, voilà!

It is made up of ties entirely, most of them old silk ties. I'll tell you more about it further down the post...

The little Bolero thingy is knit by me, too, of course. I think I found the pattern online, but I don't know where from the top of my head... If you REALLY, REALLY must know where I got it, I could spend some time to find it again. :-)

Sorry about the fake smile. It's that kind of day...

For close-ups and a little more information about the tie-skirt, read on...



See all the wrinkles? They are not due to my lack of ironing enthusiasm, but to my poor sewing execution...

I'm including the back shot because I really like the bolero from behind....
So, here are skirt close-ups. I actually left the ties as intact as possible:

It was a pain though, because I had to open each one, sew them together, and then hand-sew them close again.

For the belt piece, I used the narrow part of a tie, also leaving it intact:


I know, it doesn't look so bad, but here, a close-up of my zipper... you can definitely see that I wasn't such a great seamstress back then:


Haha! So... I like the general idea. I think you can easily make your own from this information and these pictures. I consider making one again, I just have to hunt down ties again. Is a tutorial for this something you'd be interested in?
Happy wednesday everybody, and check out the other me-made outfits HERE!
And thanks to Cat-und-Kascha for organizing! Check out her Blog by the way, I love it!

10 comments:

  1. Das ist ja genial! Eine super Idee! Werde mich auch mal besinnen, wenn ich irgendwo alte Krawatten entdelke. Sehr schönes Recycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea is gorgeous, although for an early project this skirt is very difficult to sew and very ambitious. I think you did pretty well.
    The Bolero is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Klasse Idee und das es alte Kravatten sind habe ich auf den ersten Blick nicht gesehen. (Leider trägt mein Mann keine also haben wir auch keine alten aber der nächste Flohmarkt kommt bestimmt.)
    LG Karina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tolle Idee mit den Kravatten!

    Aber der Hammer ist da Bolero, das passt prima dazu! Wünderschön!

    Gruß Ute

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tolles Outfit! Nachdem mein Ältester bei 2x Krawatte tragen diese angesabbert hat, könnte sich für mich auch bald ein Krawattenrock ausgehen :-)
    Das Bolero ist ein Traum, so eines suche ich schon eine Weile - und da ich jetzt weiß, dass es irgendwo zu finden ist, suche ich tapfer weiter.
    lg Tagpflückerin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katja,Dein Rock ist mein heutiger Favorit!Und ich finde bei so einer tollen Idee kann man doch über die Falten,die Dich ärgern hinwegsehen.
    @alle:Das süsse Bolero heisst "circular shrug" und die Anleitung gibt's kostenlos bei craftster.com (ich habe nämlich zufällig auch so eins und mag es sehr - ausserdem ist es super zu stricken)
    Liebe Grüsse Dodo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Schon wieder Krawatten! ;.)
    Gefällt mir gut. Schön individuell und doch edel. Das Bolero passt auch perfekt dazu :.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh this is such an amazing idea, I will some day have to steal it of course. You just get better all the time, because you knit too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, genial! Warum sehe ich das jetzt erst? Ich finde den Rock sehr tragbar - und mit zwei Lagen Seide mit Einlage hat er sicher auch ein gutes Tragegefühl. Eine Neuauflage mit etwas mehr Nähkompetenz würde sich lohnen, auf jeden Fall (und eine kleine Anleitung natürlich auch).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented, and look so cute in this outfit. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete