Monday, February 20, 2012

Broken Zipper Solution: From "Oh-No!" To "Oh-Yes!"

Broken Zippers are the worst. Even more so if they break on a piece of clothing you love, and double that if you made it yourself and just finished it... It so happened on my beloved Panda-Hug-Cape posted HERE
With the facing and bias-tape binding it would have been such a pain to take the zipper out and put a new one in, so I was in need of a clever plan B. It came to me, and it's one of those super easy solutions that one fails to see sometimes. At least I think so. I simply attached the new one to the old one, adding a bit of zipper coolness...:














Am I crazy or is it even cooler than before? And lesson learned, always buy good quality zippers! I went all the way this time with one that opens and closes from top and bottom, which really is perfect for this cape:














Who knows, maybe you can use this idea and turn a broken zipper defeat into a victory, too.
This was the problem, by the way:






Annoying, right?
By the way, I finished the 1938 dress and will post about it asap!
I have also changed my commenting system, it should work for everybody now.









Happy sewing and all the best to you,
Katja

13 comments:

  1. That is so clever and it looks amazing too!  

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really really cool. Your posts always amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha that is cool. I've done this a couple of weeks back on a laundry bag (I put a white zipper on a pink one so the effect's nowhere near as cool). Also, as of two days ago the second zipper broke X). Can't wait for the post about the dress (and the commenting system's working now, huzzah!). 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Das will ich mir merken! Man - warum komme ich nicht auf sowas?
     Ich habe eine wasserdichte Regenjacke die ganz teuer war und wo der Reißer kaputt ist, aber den raustrennen geht gar nicht, das wäre irre viel Pulerei. Also werde ich diese Methode versuchen.

    Grüße von Immi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are brilliant!  I love this idea, adn your Panda Hug Cape still looks fabulous.  Really looking forward to seeing your 1930's dress, thanks for the preview!

    ReplyDelete
  6.  Why thank you, I'm blushing! Glad you like it - I posted better pictures now, and the 1938 post is on it's way! Obviously, I'm in love with your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Danke Dir! Bei mir hat's auch etwas gedauert, bis ich darauf kam... Hoffentlich bist Du damit auch erfolgreich! Alles Liebe,
    Katja

    ReplyDelete
  8.  ***blush*** Thank you! Loving your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9.  ahhh cool, like minds think alike! :-))) I just voted for you at your style rocks - loving your whole collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for voting on my yourstylerocks entry, and the positive comments-I really appreciate it =D

    Got my fingers crossed as well but a win looks pretty remote at the moment- its less than a week left to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh  think it's definitely a cool upgrade!

    ReplyDelete